Friday, December 5, 2014

DEBUSSY: HEAR HIM PLAY HIS OWN COMPOSITIONS ON THE PIANO

DEBUSSY PLAYS DEBUSSY
Piano Rolls

Preludes, Book1, No. 1: Delphic Dances 03:00
Preludes, Book1, No. 10: Submerged Cathedral 05:40
Preludes, Book1, No. 11: Dance Of Puck 02:25
Childrens Corner (Complete) 12:27
From A Sketchbook 04:22
Evening In Granada, Estampes, No. 2 05:07
Gardens In The Rain, Estampes, No. 3 03:31
Preludes, Book1, No. 8: The Girl With The Flaxen Hair 02:11
Preludes, Book 2, No. 3: At The Gate Of The Vine 03:47
Arabesque, No. 1 in E Major 04:05
Arabesque, No. 2 in G Minor 02:51
Preludes, Book1, No. 2: Sails 02:44
Suite Bergamasque: Moonlight (Claire De Lune) 03:43
Reverie 05:07
Images Set 2, No. 1: Goldfish 02:59
Images Set 1, No. 1: Reflections In The Water 06:01
Piano Roll Production
At QRS Music

Player Piano Rolls
How its Made

DEBUSSY ON HIMSELF
AS A PIANIST
INFORMATION FROM:
(Check out more information on Debussy as a pianist at this site.)

Debussy wrote to Pierre Louÿs on the 16th of October, 1898: 
[I have] the tiresome habit of scattering wrong notes from both
 hands whenever [I have] to play in front of more than two people.
 [Lesure & Nichols p. 102]

In march 1914 a concert was arranged in Amsterdam
 with the works of Debussy's, and he was invited to
perform as a conductor and a pianist. He writes in an
 answer to the conductor Gustav Doret 30th of
January, 1914:
Three piano preludes: I. Dancers of Delphi, II. The Girl with the
 Flaxen Hair, III. La Puerta del vino. In fact that's all my limited
 capabilities allow me to play! If necessary, I could always
 improvise on the Dutch national anthem?
 [Lesure & Nichols p. 286]

A letter from 1915:
But at least I'll see you again and be able to play you these
 Etudes which are giving your fingers such a fright... I may
 say there are certain passages which sometimes bring mine
 to a halt too. Then I have to get my breath back as though
 I'd been climbing a flight of stairs... In truth, this music
 wheels above the peaks of performance! It'll be fertile
 ground for establishing records.
[Lesure & Nichols p. 301]

In a letter to Gabriel Fauré, who apparently had
 asked him to give a concert with the Etudes:
[...] I can no longer play the piano well enough to risk a
 performance of the Etudes... In public a peculiar phobia
 takes hold of me: there are too many keys; I haven't
 enough fingers any more; and suddenly I forget where
 the pedals are! It's unfortunate and extremely alarming.
 [Lesure & Nichols p. 324]

LINKS
http://www.openculture.com/2013/01/debussy_plays_debussy
_the_great_composers_playing_returns_to_life.html